Saturday, August 15, 2009

Bone Scan Results...


So- it seemed as if forever has passed since my last blog. It may only have been a week ago- but it seemed to be an eternity for me as I awaited the news of the bone scan, x-ray and blood work that had been done on my mother. All these tests were to see if they could tell if the cancer had spread anywhere else in her body. My mother had told me that she felt good all this week. I spoke with her on several occasions and she seemed confident in what the doctors were doing as far as her health was concerned.


The phone rang- and I saw her name pop up on the caller i.d. I quickly answered the phone- hoping to get to the bottom of the news. My lovely mother began telling me that she called me first this time because she knew I was going to be gone later that evening. While she's telling me all this- my mind was trying to analyze her voice. Is this a voice of a woman who just received bad news or good news??? I couldn't tell- she was so calm..... Then she said- "so the results came back and......"

That's the point where I paused and braced myself up against the counter and tried to swallow a lump that was quickly forming in my throat.


And as quickly as I felt the lump forming- it started to go away- "The scan came out good as did the blood work and x-ray." She stated. I was relieved to finally feel that we had come to an end in the search of how bad this cancer was. She then began to tell me all about the treatments that would be involved in fighting this cancer.


- 8 chemotherapy cycles- about 6 months followed by

- 14 cycles of Herceptin- about 9 months


That equals 15 months

but we aren't done yet....


-5 weeks of Radiation following the Herceptin- (this is 5 days a week for 5 weeks)


- Then a hormone treatment will start at this point.

- And for 5 years she will be on drugs to keep the cancer from coming back.


She also was offered a chance to participate in a research study for some new drug- but she still needs to read up on what that all means and to decide whether she wants to do that or not.


She will be losing her hair- eyelashes- and eyebrows due to the chemotherapy. She hopes to get a wig soon before that all starts happening. I joked with her on the phone about getting all sorts of fun colors and styles to play with. I told her that this was the time to try on different hair colors and styles- that way she can find out what she wants after her hair grows back!!! ;)


Sometime this week she will be going into the hospital to have a port-a-cath put in. Apparently my aunt (my mother's sister) who works as a nurse in Holland in oncology suggested she do it. For those of you who don't know- this will be inserted under the collar bone- and it is a means to getting the chemotherapy- this way they don't have to insert an I.V. every time the treatment is being done. My mother said, "This way I can save my veins."


For those of you who want the nitty gritty and all the medical terminology- continue to read the next section which details the drugs she will be put on....


-Doxorubicin and Cyclophosphamide (AC) for the first 4 cycles of chemo- these take 30 mins. each


- Docetaxel and Trastuzumab (DT) for the next 4 cycles of chemo- these take 3 hours each!


All is all- there is still a VERY long road to go....I know that we do not walk this path alone but that God is with us every step of the way. Sure this isn't an easy road- and that's from a daughter's stand point. I can't even imagine the pain and sickness my mother will be going through with all this treatment! But I can rest assure that God knows best! His good and perfect will- will be known soon enough!


Please continue in your prayers on behalf of my mother and my family. And thank you to all of you who have been so vigilant in praying for us.


I found this verse on my daughter's paper from VBS and I hung it up on the fridge- it is something I've been meditating on lately....


Psalm 86:5

"You are forgiving and good, O Lord, abounding in love to all who call to you."

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kim,
    I pray along with you on this long road of treatment of your mum and my sister. I know miracles can happen because I recently experienced one myself, the deliverance of depression. Dear niece know that I'm praying for you as well. I like your honesty for sharing.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,
    I am sure you know I know this path you are taking all too well, as I watch my grandmother and my mom fight the cancer wars. I am by no means an expert on the treatments, but feel pretty tuned in to the battle that lies ahead. If you need to talk or cry or ask any questions I am a phone call or email away.... at ANY TIME!!! Cancer is one thing that leaves you feeling so helpless and then other circumstances fall on you when you want to just deal with this that make you want to just throw your hands up and cry "no more, Lord!" but like me you have those two beautiful little faces looking at you that give you a reason to put a smile on and be strong. But when you are by yourself, in the quiet of the day and your mind gets the best of you, I hope you can feel the prayers being lifted for you.
    Love,
    Staci
    (205)492-4071 - stacih24@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I guess I should have reread that before I posted... I meant "watched"

    ReplyDelete