Thursday, July 30, 2009

Haircut...



Yes- on Tuesday afternoon I looked in the mirror and said, "Today's the day!" I marched on down to the salon and a kind woman greeted me. I told her I wanted to get my hair cut for Locks of Love. She pointed to the waiting area and told me it would be about 5 minutes. As I watched the clock tick by I couldn't help but become nervous. I LOVE my hair- I really do. It sounds stupid to say but I really like my long hair. Could I run out of here without looking ridiculous- I thought. But no- they already had my name and phone number and I glanced down at my purse. There staring back at me was my pink ribbon cancer pin. (from Pampered Chef- thanks Dawn!) And then I realized how superficial I was being. Knowing that my mother would probably soon be losing her hair due to chemo and here I am worrying about it being short! Finally 10 minutes had passed and I finally was called to the chair for my hair cut. My stylist wasn't too friendly nor did she want to talk much. Well, for me, I love to talk and I talk a lot when I'm nervous! So I decided I would just sit there and pray- pray for my mother and for whoever might get my hair- that it would be a blessing to them. Then she said, "Why are doing this? You have such lovely hair?" First of all, I wanted to tell her that I was already considering bolting out of this place at one point and second- well she shouldn't try to discourage people from doing something they are set on doing. But I settled on telling her about my mother and that I was doing it in honor of her. She shrugged it off and said nothing and continued making the ponytails that would later be cut off. Then she said it, "Are you ready?" And she made the first cut. At that point I was bound and ready to make this woman have a laugh or at least a smile. After she finished cutting the first of four ponytails I turned around and said- "Oh no, I think I've changed my mind!" She looked shocked and scarred. "But I've already cut one" - she replied. I looked at her and told her I was just joking. Relief came to what once was her startled face. I don't know that she found it very funny but I did and so did the stylist who was cutting a man's hair next to me. She finished the cut and I headed home- lighter and minus 11 inches of my hair. I talked with my kids on the phone that night- they are visiting grandpa and grandma an Alabama- and I thought should I tell them. But no- I think I will keep it a surprise for them when they come home! :)




I called my mother that night- she was hoping to meet with the surgeon that day. But no one answered the phone and I left a message for her to call me when she got in. At 11:15 p.m. my mother called me back- I was up and painting my daughters room so I didn't mind the late call. She told me how the surgeon was in surgery all day and that she spoke to him over the phone but that the meeting had been pushed to Thursday morning at 9 a.m. Then I heard her say something about my dad checking the e-mail. I had sent her an e-mail with the picture of my hair before- during the cut- and after- with the words- this is for you mom- written on the bottom. My dad called her over while I was on the phone to show her the picture and e-mail. She sounded surprised and happy. Then she proceeded to tell me that she also got her hair cut today! We laughed about the fact that neither of us told the other about getting our hair cut but that we both did it on the same day. Mine was in honor of my mother and to help other's with my hair. My mother's was of course in planning for surgery and then the chemotherapy that would soon be following behind.

As I sit here this morning typing this- my mother is on her way to go meet with her surgeon. Tomorrow is the day that has been set for the single mastectomy to be done. Due to the location of the cancer and the size it appears that for now they are planning to do a single mastectomy of the left breast. They also are going to be removing some lymph nodes- since she tested positive with cancer cells in the lymph node. She feels comfortable being in the hands of this surgeon but more importantly knowing she's in God's hands.

As always- I can't thank you all enough- the words of encouragement- prayer for my mother and our family. We truly- truly- appreciate it during this time! Please continue to keep her in your prayers as tomorrow she faces surgery. Please pray for fast healing for my mother and for wisdom for the surgeon as well. May God be praised throughout this journey and may our hope rest solely in Him...
Psalm 52: 8-9
"I trust in God's unfailing love for ever and ever. I will praise you forever for what you have done; in your name I will hope, for your name is good."






No comments:

Post a Comment