Friday, October 23, 2009

Making memories....


'Surprise!' my father and Charity (my sister in law) said as I walked down the hallway and made myself visible to my mother who sat in the living room. She looked bewildered and confused yet excited all at the same time. She didn't know that I was coming to visit her after all. It was planned out between my father, brother and sister in law. After a 12+ hour day of travel I was happy to find myself 'home' with my parents. My mother jumped off the couch and handed my niece Katie over to my father so she could give me a hug. Throughout the night my mother often said, "I can't believe you are here! And for two weeks!"

Since then I think the surprise has worn off and my parents have grown more accustomed to my presence in the house. It's been a joy to be able to help around the house- making food, cleaning etc. It's quiet here too....which is something I'm not used to having- especially with two little kids running around. Speaking of kids, it's been a challenge to be so far away from them during this time. They sound so little and far away on the phone yet I'm grateful to be able to speak to them every night.

As for my mother....
She is exactly how I remember her- just without hair and with a wrap on her head to keep her warm. She is active as usual and just got in from raking the fall leaves that had fallen along with the rain we had gotten last night and this morning. She does, however, need her rest in the afternoon- busy mornings lead to restful and quiet afternoons that usually end up in a nap. :) There's nothing about her that is different except for that label which is now a part of her- cancer. Don't get me wrong- cancer does not define my mother- it is only a mere part of her life- something she must live with.

I went outside this afternoon while my mother rested and my father studied. I walked all across their vast expanse of land while the clouds threatened to burst down with rain at any moment. I found nothing but silence outside as I followed paths in and out of the forest. And finally I made it to a clearing....there before me stood a large field that beckoned me to come and investigate. I walk in the field, camera in hand, and found a mountain in the distance covered in clouds and hardly visible. I thought to myself- this is very much like this cancer that has descended upon my family- there are times when the days a gray and cold. And yet- I know that not all days are like this....some are full of sunshine and warmth. If you keep looking at the mountain from a distance you will likely see a subtle outline and dark clouds but if you venture closer those clouds that seemed at once so dark will be barely visible- leaving you with a beautiful view of the mountain.

May our eyes be fixed on the author and perfecter of our faith- Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 comment: